Disciplines: Mediator and Attorney
Mr. Shapiro has over thirty years of experience mediating commercial, governmental, and family disputes. He designs and manages comprehensive dispute resolution systems; facilitates decision-making planning sessions; coaches managers; trains professionals in negotiation, mediation, and collaborative decision-making techniques; and initiates change-efforts in organizations. Mr. Shapiro has worked in high conflict arenas such as environmental cleanup, corporate fraud, and interracial disputes. He has been appointed by state and federal agencies to help resolve highly visible state and national disputes. Mr. Shapiro writes and lectures extensively on mediation and dispute resolution more generally. He has served in the following roles:
- Mediator and Consultant, BMC Associates. 2020 – present.
- Mediator and Arbitrator. Representative cases include family business disputes, elder-planning disputes, marital separation and divorce. Appointed by the State of Maryland to mediate disputes with the West Baltimore Health Care Collaborative. Mediated and resolved matters between the Navajo Nation and the City of Tucson. Mediated matters shoring up credit markets for the New York energy Mediated racial issues at GWU Law School amidst allegations of antisemitism and LGBT discrimination. Appointed as Maryland State Mediator resolving matters between the Hispanic Business Association. Arbitration experiences have included wind turbine and other power buyer-producer disputes, and business valuation disputes.
- Federal Mediator. Representative cases include multiparty mediation between victims of a breached hydropower dam and the operating company, water rights issues in southern California, water rights issues throughout the State of California, and over 65 other federal energy matters. Provided training and conflict design to federal agencies and their staffs. 1990-2007
- University Lecturer. George Washington University Law School, Georgetown Law Center, and Catholic University on topics concerning confidentiality and multiparty mediation. 1995 – present.
- Corporate Counsel, Fortune 200 Telecom, implementation first networked switching systems for DOD US-wide. (1984-2000)
1979 B.B.A., Organizational Science, Adelphi University, New York
1983 JD., Antioch University School of Law