Disciplines: Organizational Consultant and Mediator
Ms. Ostermeyer has over seventeen years of experience mediating a variety of disputes; designing and managing comprehensive dispute resolution systems; facilitating decision-making and strategic planning sessions; coaching managers; training professionals in mediation, negotiation, and collaborative decision-making techniques; overseeing hundreds of professional mediators; devising comprehensive evaluation programs; and initiating change-efforts in organizations. She has applied mediation techniques in both private and public organizations in the U.S. and abroad, and she has been nationally recognized for developing award-winning systems to resolve multifaceted disputes. Ms. Ostermeyer has written and lectured extensively on the topic of mediation and she has served in the following roles:
- Independent Consultant. Providing a wide array of organization development services to private and public organizations internationally, including: mediation, conflict management, facilitation, coaching, Myers Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) assessment, strategic planning, system design, and training. 1995-present.
- Mediator. BMC Associates. 1995-present.
- Mediator and Trainer. Mediating organizational, family, employee, civil, and community disputes. Training interdisciplinary groups in mediation skills and techniques. Evaluating the performance of mediators. 1984-present.
- Adjunct Faculty. George Washington University Law School, American University, and University of South Carolina. Teaching mediation, negotiation and conflict resolution courses. 1995-2000.
- Director, Multi-Door Dispute Resolution Division, Superior Court of the District of Columbia. Designed and administered dispute resolution systems for civil, family, probate, tax, and employee disputes. 1989-1995.
Director, Dispute Resolution Centers, Houston, Texas. Managed mediation services for state, county, and city courts and governmental agencies. 1984-1989.
1997 M.S., Applied Behavioral Science (Organization Development), Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland
1980 B.S., Social Work, Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana
1980 B.A., Law, Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana
Monitoring and Evaluating Dispute Resolution, National Center for State Courts, 1997.
Handbook on Systems Design and Implementation, National Institute for Dispute Resolution, 1995.
“Conducting the Mediation.” In The Art and Science of Community Mediation: A Handbook for Practitioners and Researchers, Guilford Press, 1990.